Chia is a small seed from the chia plant native to Mexico and Guatemala. Sound exotic? Well they are and so is their nutritional profile. Chia seeds are the worlds richest plant based source of Omega 3’s dietary fibre and protein.
Touted as natures complete superfood as their nutritional profile also includes vitamins and minerals essential to the human body’s function.
Chia seeds are becoming very readily available now. You will find them in large chain supermarkets as well as the little guy and of course your local health food store. As I get excited about anything grown here I try to by mine Australian grown and you can purchase them on line here as we’ll as other Chia products such as cold pressed chia oil!
7 Reasons to eat Chia daily
1. Chia has more calcium than milk
2. 20% protein of which included are no less than 8 essential amino acids
3. 7 times more vitamin C than oranges.
4. 20% Omega 3’s.
5. Twice the potassium of a Banana.
6. Works to balance blood glucose levels.
7. Builds and maintains healthy skin, hair and nails.
Chia can be used in so many ways: As an egg replacement in cooking In smoothies as a thickener In raw deserts Sprinkled on your breakfast As chia pudding. Example here.
Do you eat Chia seeds, In what foods do you add them?
X Natural Harry